Monday, March 25, 2013

Back In the Saddle: Dairy/Soy-Free

I kind of fell off the face of the earth for awhile there! Mothering a toddler can do that to you. Since I last wrote, we added another bundle to our family: Eloise Anne! She is cute as can be with chubby cheeks made for endless kisses. She has also put me through the ringer with her dairy and soy allergies and subsequent reflux. Being a nursing mother, it means I am now too dairy and soy-free. What is a baker to do when she kisses goodbye her precious butter and cream? 6 months later, I am finally through the mourning stages and here we are at acceptance. Time to change my game. And permanently change it I will, as some of my very own GI issues have  been healed with my new diet. My eyes have been opened to a whole  new culture of nutritional wellness and food alternatives. Dare I say I've made friends with the Vegans as their baked goods are the only ones to be found without dairy?! There is little out there on my particular diet, as I still love me some eggs and meat, so I've decided to share my adventures here in hopes of helping others with dairy allergies and sweet nursing babies with intolerances. Hope you enjoy this adventure with me!

Photo credit: Lucy O Photo


Here are a few tidbits I've learned:

Most babies will outgrow their dairy allergy, but this can take up to 3 years.
A strong percentage of babies allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy.
There are very few formula options for babies such as mine, and they all taste horrible.
Breastfeeding these babies is the best option, but means mom also too embraces a dairy and soy-free diet.
Babies are actually sensitive to the protein in milk, as opposed to lactose, and this can take 1-3 weeks to clear from mom and baby's system once consumed.

Dairy can come under many other names: Go Dairy Free has a great reference page for this.
Dr. Sears has a great description on infant dairy allergy.

No comments:

Post a Comment