Monday, June 10, 2013

Jumbo Sugar-Crusted Blueberry Muffins

Necessity breeds invention.
Lets just say I get paid on Thursday and until then, I am eating my fridge and pantry clean.
I needed something for breakfast tomorrow, and I had 1 egg and a cup of blueberries about to go bad.
Enter: blueberry muffins, dairy-free style. Did I mention I have a new, jumbo muffin tin from my dear friends Mike and Robin? Woo!

Nice and fluffy and not too sweet.
They came out amazingly well, and the sanding sugar adds a professional bakery touch.  The 1 egg dilemma forced me to experiment with the flax seeds.  I think I am going to sneak this into everything. Did you know that you can replace an egg with 1 TBS ground flax seed and 3 TBS water? You're welcome.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbs ground flax seeds
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 3 Tbs water
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup milk (of any variety, I use almond)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups blueberries (AKA whatever's left!)
  • Coarse sprinkling sugar




Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Oil your jumbo muffin tin.
  2. Measure and mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
  3. In mixer, on medium speed, mix egg, flax seed, sugar, and coconut oil until well blended.
  4. Add water, oil, milk, and vanilla and mix on low until combined. 
  5. Add your dry ingredients in 2 parts and ONLY mix enough to combine. Make sure you wipe down sides of bowl with a spatula too.
  6. Fold in the blueberries.
  7. Fill your jumbo muffin tins almost to the top.
  8. The best part: Sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar. 
  9. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 min.
  10. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 25-27 minutes* until part of the tops get slightly browned and they appear set. Let cool in the tins.
  11. Serve warm with dairy-free butter. One will fill you right up. Mmmmmm
*If you only have traditional muffin/cupcake tins this recipe makes 18, bake for 16-17 minutes or until toothpick or knife comes out clean.
p.s. I think I join a multitude of other moms when I say, I blog when my children are sleeping :)

1 comment:

  1. yeah flaxseed! you probably already know this, but flaxseed is real good for getting your omega 3's, which are pretty absent in the american diet (eggs have lots of omega 6's). a good omega balance is especially good for women's cycles--helps reduce cramps and lengthen the cycle.

    p.s. yes I stalk your baking blog sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete