Monday, June 20, 2011

Classic Oatmeal Cookies


Knowing that Father's Day was coming, and that this year the stars alligned and I actually got to see my father in the flesh, I set out ahead of time to find the perfect, classic oatmeal cookie to bake him. Why? Because they are one of my dad's favorite (he is also a fan of plain spritz cookies and girl scout shortbreads...see a theme here?)
I finally found what I was looking for on the good ol' allrecipes.com, this one submitted by Nancy Fridirici.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
  2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 11-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Now, for my dad being a fan of the plainest and crunchiest you can get it, I omitted the chips from his and added a few minutes to the timer!! I would call them a success....deliciously crunchy on the outside, but still chewy on the inside. And somehow the oatmeal tricks you into thinking it is healthy!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment